Skip to content

Electrical ‘boom’ wakes up Pikeville residents

A loud boom in downtown Pikeville startled some residents awake on Friday, May 24, after a transformer fuse blew near Scotties Restaurant, according to Manager Mike Deakins of Sequachee Valley Electric Cooperative’s Pikeville office.

Deakins said the fuse, made of porcelain, had a ‘disconnect’ and blew around 6:30 a.m. The equipment was older and could have been hit by lighting recently causing the blow.

He added crews fixed the broken equipment and replaced it with a polymer fuse, which he said was more modern and better insulated.

Leave a Comment