A large fire that destroyed Lee Cash Store and Simpson 10-Cent Store on January 10, 1946 brought a group of concerned citizens together to form the Pikeville Volunteer Fire Department (PVFD). Later that year, the department was formed and on Saturday, October 9, the PVFD is celebrating its 75th anniversary of answering fire calls in its community.
The department was officially founded in the spring of 1946, according to The Bledsonian-Banner archives. PVFD was formed by a group of citizens after major fires ravaged downtown Pikeville near the current courthouse area, burning down several businesses and homes.
For more see the September 30 issue of The Bledsonian Banner.